
As I start this I realize that there is a LOT of different ways that I can choose to go about this, because my thoughts have been quite endless on the subject, but for the sake of moving forward I'm choosing to say it this way.
Part 1: Getting Pregnant Before I Got Married
Having grown up in the household that I did and being raised within the walls of my church, I'm sure it came as a shock to everyone when they found out that I had a baby on the way or to some: that found out after she was born. And most of you knew that I had vowed to wait until I got married to have sex so it was even a bigger shock.
But it happened. I had sex. There's no way around it, there is no excuse. Nothing. I did it. And when I found out that I was pregnant a few things were running through my brain.
1. Love.
2. How do I tell Jose?
3. How do I tell my parents?
4. What will people think of me?
All of which were firing at random rapid speeds sending me to tears before I could even fully register the idea of what the heck was actually happening. And then on top of this I was so sad because pregnancy should never ever start out like this, at least not how I ever imagined it should. I think that it's a celebration and in and of itself, it's harmonious and beautiful. The product of two people totally in love with Jesus and each other...but I felt sadness. Something so great that I began to find my false identity within these feelings.
So I'm gonna talk about the damage I did to myself first:
I had never intended on getting pregnant, in fact I'm sure that nobody would have even known that I had sex...that I could continue on with my life the way that it was....but I did. And my secret was about to become more obvious. As I began to focus more on what I thought other people would think of me and then on top of it, my own feelings of regret, depression, anger....I became more locked up within the house, within these horrible lies infiltrating me. In fact a lot of people will tell you that I didn't really come out much when I was pregnant. I stopped communicating the way that I used to as well. Heck, I didn't even post anything on Facebook until after she was born.
And I think back sometimes and I wonder that if I hadn't of gotten pregnant would I still regret having sex before marriage??
And you know there's this funny thing that happens here...I began on this downward spiral of thoughts. And most of it was mainly my own feelings of regret, of breaking my promise to God, of giving in to my own desires...and when I started to tag myself to some of these horrible labels, I began to do it to Maia too. And it killed. Because after giving birth I went through a rough period where I just felt, emotionally detached.
I wasn't able to forgive myself...
Part 2: The Pregnancy Epidemic
I remember getting a message, actually about 4 messages from people within my church. That had heard through the grapevine and thought I was in need of hearing their opinion. Perhaps I was.
It tore me apart, especially when I had heard that my name came up in a prayer meeting and among my name was the tag "pregnancy epidemic". I'm not a scholar of any sorts but pregnancy isn't the epidemic, it was most definitely the sex. Pregnancy was a result of the sex and it happened to share my secret. But did these women not know that they're own children could be in my spot? What made me different? The fact that I was pregnant. That my situation is no secret. I was livid, angry, and yet I secretely held on to their words because then I'd strut in front of the mirror hold my belly and say, "yup, you're a screw up. And you were right all along, people are judging you". Wrong, I know, but it let me wallow in my self pity longer than I should have been allowed.
Then I received a letter in the mail when I was about 7 months pregnant...and it was an older lady from our local church near to where I was living. She had said that she had some stuff for me and baby Maia and that we had been in her prayers for a while now. The letter went on to say that sin is sin and it's not viewed any differently to God. That I had already been forgiven and that I needed to forgive myself because God had already forgiven me and that he was blessing me with a reminder. A reminder that He speaks truth and that there's a reason that we must obey. She went on to say that I could go two ways: I could view the rest of my life and Maia's life as a big mistake...that I could sit and wallow in my pity and anger and depression. Or that I could use this as my ministry. To speak to other women having gone through what I did or to young woman before they even get an opportunity to give themselves away. That I was now a leader and a teacher. She proclaimed love and joy over my unborn child and I needed to as well.
Granted her words meant a lot at the time and they're still working on me, but everything she wrote was true. And I had let my own thoughts and the thoughts of others get in the way of my life. For almost 8 months I was locked up in my own jail!!!
Part 3: So my point in all of this:
Maia is MY daughter, I had her outside of marriage. Yes. I did. But that doesn't define her OR ME. She is my whole world. She is the most joyful and beautiful piece of God's hand I have ever met. He dances over her and rejoices over her just as much as the next child and she is NO less of a human. My love for her is something that words won't ever describe and if you haven't had a child yet, you'll understand someday.
If you'd like to judge...then judge me, not my daughter...are your words going to hurt me? No, I won't let them, not anymore. Because God is my judge and I have been forgiven. That's the only thing that matters.
To the other young ladies out there that I have met and become close to as well as your children, you are no less of a person to God. You're children are a delight and they have something so valuable to offer the world. Speak words of love and truth, you guys!! Speak it and believe it.
And as much as I love my daughter and I love being a mom! Wait, just wait until you're married. Because it will be SO worth the wait! God is faithful.
Love,
Sonya


17 comments:
i dont know who said what but i feel your frustration. you wouldnt believe some of the things u was told by "christians" during my first pregnancy (out of wedlock) things happen, mistakes are made, but babies are blessings no matter how their made. maia is beautiful.
** i was told
Hey girl,
I have been a follower of yours for a while but haven't been by in a while. I grew up just like you and when we are raised like that, its hard not to be judgemental..of others, but more of ourselves. I hate that Christianity is ruined by Christians so many times. This is not Jesus' heart and although he asks us to obey, he died to forgive us, ya know. I was just praying this morning, and really letting in the truth that He loves me no matter if I am being super Christian or walking away from Him. His love is always the same for me, unconditional. He sees our hearts, our brokenness, our humanness, and he is not disgusted eternally by our mistakes. We label ourselves, but that is not the truth. Those are the lies that keep us under shadows of who God says we really are.
Babies are NEVER accidents! Life is not an accident, ever! Your daughter is beautiful and was given to you at this time for a reason. But you know what, YOU too are no less valuable. Love yourself like you love your daughter. Fight for your heart like you fight for hers.
My battles are different, but I need to fight for my heart and value just as much. I saw myself in what you were saying, and seeing ourselves through these mean, judgmental people's eyes. Running through life with our fists raised ready to fight for our worth because ...shock of all shocks..we aren't perfect.
Anyways, I didn't mean to write a novel. But I wanted to encourage you. We are not defined by our mistakes, even the ones that we made today. I love thinking of when God called Gideon when he was hiding in the luggage. He said, "God is with you mighty warrior" (ha, while he was HIDING) So glad God see us for WHO we really are, who HE says we are.
Thank you for your vulnerability!
I battled the same things when everyone found out I had gotten pregnant before my husband and I got married. We got the whole "you're only getting married because you got knocked up" thing more times than I care to remember...even though we were already planning our wedding [and were already married] before I ever even found out. It's painful...but like you said, the only person who can judge me is GOD. And he's already forgotten about it. Hugs!!
I love you girl! EVERYTHING happens according to plan. Even when it seems like it doesn't. Maia is part of a master plan, I really believe that. I'm so happy to hear that you are enjoying and reveling in her and not letting the rest of it ruin you. She is a perfect blessing!
What a great post Sonya! Thank God for that one kind old lady from your church! And I agree that pregnancy is not the epidemic. Sex is!
I hate it that couples who call themselves Christians have sex b4 they are married without getting pregnant and nobody feels the need to rebuke them but once there is one pregnant girl, everyone has free reign!
God knows your heart Sonya and He is a righteous judge, Praise the Lord!! I would love to give you a big hug right now:) xo
Thanks for sharing your story!!! Know that for every rude comment or hateful note, there are ten more people that support you.
This is so beautiful girl. I admire your strength and your beauty. You are such an amazing mother and Maia is one lucky girl. I am so glad you shared your story I am sure it will touch many lives for good. I am grateful for that lady at church who sent that letter it was truly a tender mercy from God!
I love you Sonya & Maia. You both are Beautiful. I know what you mean with all the hurt that people have said. I am PROUD of you that you have stayed strong and worked through it all. Your story gives me the strength to press on and work my way through the pain myself. I admire you on how far you have come. I pray that some day i too can stand strong and say that i have let the judgemental comments pass, but as you know it is hard to and i'm trying hard too every day!
LOVE YOU!
I so understand where you're coming from. My daughter was born to out of wedlock. Her father and I are married now, but I did go through some of those same feelings. I got preggos and then the father deployed. So I was left to live with my parents. I would get the worst looks from people when I went out with my mom and I was big and round. I still get bad looks when it's just me and her going out. Like you said only God can judge us. You're an amazing mom and your daughter is doll.
I remember reading this on facebook and it brought tears to my eyes. It was just so hearfelt and incredibly HONEST. Always remember that you and you're daughter are both amazing and GOD is amazing!! No one else has the right to judge and say those awful things that were said. You're strong, beautiful, and so full of love, Sonya! Don't ever let anyone bring you down.
Wow, beautiful post. I so needed this. All three of my children were born out of wedlock. I have been with my fiance for 10 years, but we are still not married. I still get the people that look at me like, "wow you not only had 1 kid but 3 before you were married". or "When are you going to get married"? And we will when the time is right. But that doesn't make my children any less important or loved, or even wanted because we were not married!
I stand and clap for you (I promise, I really did) and I PRAISE JESUS for HIS Grace that covers over you!
This is the Power of Jesus in this world. THIS IS HIS GLORY through YOUR STORY!
I read this and it ring so true and so similar to my experience with Chloe... thank you for sharing!
I'm so sorry someone said something rude! I think it's amazing that you posted this because there are a lot of people who need to hear it. I can tell you are a fantastic mother!
Don't worry about what people around you may "think". With God's help you and Jose have created a BEAUTIFUL little girl who is here for a reason.
Can't wait to meet you Maia!
Your strength and courage through God's grace is amazing! You have a gorgeous little lady there!
Post a Comment