Thursday, December 2, 2010

Mirena

Hey :] So this post is about to get extremely personal. After I had Maia my doctor insisted that I go onto the Mirena {IUD} for my horrible PMS symptoms and other such terrible things that happen once a month, and apparently you have to have had a child in order to get this. So apparently she thought I was perfect for it.

I loved it, but I had come to notice some horrible, horrible side effects happening. Granted I have been period free every now and then but something else is happening. I have been depressed and extremely moody. Just something terrible. The littlest things...get to me. I can't explain it. So after reading a million and a half forums, apparantly thousands of women are having the same problems as me.
-mood swings

-acne {have never had it this bad, EVER}

-weight gain or incapability to lose weight {I've lost weight but it's like my body is stuck even tho I have changed my eating and exercising habits}

-water retention

-constipation {yes I have been drinking lots of water}

-dryness {in that area}

-dizzy/fainting/seizures

-migraines

-losing large amounts of hair

-anxiety

All of the above I've never had a problem with before. I have read that the IUD makes your body believe it's pregnant and it will keep fat and water retention in certain areas {belly, hips, butt}. NO WONDER!!! I have been doing about 100-150 crunches, side planks, push ups...and my belly still has that pooch, I look like I'm 12 weeks pregnant! What the crap? Needless to say, this stupid thing is getting removed next week. I've kept a log of everything that has happened since the Mirena so I'll be checking to see if it really was this monster all along. Has anyone else had this or these problems???

Photobucket

7 comments:

Etosia (e-tasha) said...

I had some of the same problems with orthotrycyclin, the migraines were so bad I had to see a neurologist and he blamed it on the way the hormones fluctuate when your on the pill so I switched to depo was on it for 2 years and got pregnant (not very effective I guess!) So now that Rylin is here I find myself researching birth control again and am probably gonna go with the implanon implant hopefully the side effects aren't as bad! I hope your symptoms improve once the merena is taken out!

Bevin @ allisbright.com said...

I have had two friends within the last month have their Mirena removed. One got really sensitive and lost her sex drive all together, and it all almost led to a divorce. The other one had uncontrollable cramps almost 24/7. When I got my IUD I made sure I got the copper one, because it has no hormones, and the hormones from other birth controls always made me gain weight. Good luck.

Leah said...

I read too many scary things about the Mirena. Said it could embed itself in the uterus and there would be a need for emergency surgery. Same thing if it pokes a hole in your uterus.
Don't know why it was recommended to me in the first place since I don't have any kids.
I'm sorry but my uterus is mine, don't mess with it.
The pill made me crazy. Major hormonal issues with my emotions, just constantly sad and angry and weight gain which made it worse.
And the depo gave one of my friends crazy HUGE problems...
I have decided that birth control is definitely not for me, unless it's a condom. Too many side effects and risks.

Unknown said...

While I've never personally used it... I have friends who did and ended up switching to a different kind of birth control for all the reasons you listed. And since you're feeling so open and personal today: do you know what you're going to switch to?

{ E } said...

I know very little about UTis, but I had been on a low dose BC pill for 8 years and I absolutely loved how it cleared my skin up, lightened my period, no mood swings- perfect! And then when I moved to NYC to model, my doc told me it'd be ok to just take the pill without breaking to have a period. SO for two years up until last month I didn't have a period- it was heavenly- no cramps, no bleeding. Now that I'm off of it ( getting ready to get pregnant), I hate it. Periods suck- natural hormonal swings suck: I'm all breaking out, cramping, I'm having horrible mood swings. It's all probably normal, but I was so used to not having all this for years that it's 1000 times worse in my mind.

{ E } said...

Oops, I meant IUDs :) lol

Anonymous said...

I have the same symptoms I have been to a neurologist because I feel pressure in one side of my head and uncontrollable twitching in my eye, the doctor doesn't know what might be causing these symptoms,but I was prescribed a anti seizure/anxiety medication. When ever I try to get up from sitting I get a slight pain in my abdomen. your lucky u look like ur 12 weeks I look like Im 6 months! I try dieting and even if I eat right the last 10 lbs will not go away so I get discouraged! I have never been depressed and feel like sleeping all day!! My acne is really bad!!! Thanks for sharing, I was already thinking about getting it removed but you just convinced me! I'm making my appointment to get rid of this thing asap. I read they can also cause cysts :( scary stuff !!!
p.s. love your pics ")