Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Toddler Tuesday: Oops, I've been gone farrr too long!!!

I did NOT realize how long it has been that I haven't blogged. BIG oops. I think life here has been nothing short of "flyin fast and super busy". The next 3 weeks/weekends are completely filled and while this excites me, I feel a tad stressed thinking about it? Hahaha!

Maia turns 3 on September 11 and we're celebrating with a giant "ballet bash". Maia's number one love right now in her life is dancing. Ballet is all she talks about...and she TALKS ALL THE TIME. So we decided, why not a ballet themed party with her best friends from school!? Yeah, yeaaaa! Wayyy in over my head ahahahaha I feel like even tho everything is finally ordered and on it's way, I'm nowhere near prepared! hahahaha. I have a lot to do! I can't wait to share pictures when it's all said and done. 

Maia's just hit this really neat stage in her life. She learned that she can pull pranks and say hilarious things and 99% of the time will get a positive reaction. Her goal in life is to make people laugh and she SOAKS IT UP. This girl is HILARIOUS. I was not sure what to expect going into the third year, but so far, I love it! She's so smart. She knows whom to speak in Spanish with and whom to speak in English...and whom she can get away with speaking Spanglish hahahaha. TRUE STORY. With Jose and I, it's Spanglish. With Jose's family, mostly siblings, it's all Spanish. And English with mine.

People often ask if she's fluent and speaks both perfect...my answer is YOU HAVE NO IDEA. She not only executes words and phrases without blinking - but she understands literally everything in both languages. That is absolutely INCREDIBLE!!! I am blown away...and not because I thought she wouldn't be able to do it, but because it really is a lot to learn and understand. But I've researched and read lots of articles and this age is prime for learning languages. Her brain works in ways that most toddlers won't be able to for a while now because of language. The idea is that when young children know and speak more than one language they gain a sense of perspective in all areas of thinking and learning that most adults don't even - because their minds have been opened up to more than just one way of doing something. That's awesome. Really awesome!

Maia's excelling in ballet lessons. Her teacher took the time to pull me aside and request Maia start privates and multiples because she just catches on so quick and she doesn't just dance because we put her there, she does it because she LOVES it. Recently I took her in 15 minutes early and we got to the academy and there was a group of 3 women doing a lyrical/modern piece. Maia was captivated. After the women left and Maia's class went in, the entire time Maia was trying to mimic and move the way she saw the women dancing. I love watching her dance.

I think that the toughest thing for us at the moment is the apparent change in attitude. She has gotten so used to people understanding her and talking to her, that the second someone doesn't understand, she goes from 0 to 60. She gets upset and her voice gets louder and more offensive. I'm not going to lie, it's really hard not to lose our cool. But once again nothing is ever solved with screaming and anger...so we just try our hardest to keep our voices softer than hers and have understanding in our tones and eyes. I know that what she's experiencing and feeling is all she knows. It's her biggest problem at the moment. I know this too shall pass and at some point down the road when she's 15, I might miss these small outbursts and tantrums.

Aside from dance you can probably find Maia singing - she hears a song she likes and by the end has picked up the chorus. Jose was blown away at first...his response was "I didn't sing to songs until I was 8!" hahahahaha. She's a smart cookie with an AWESOME memory. She loves the "Byebo Sawng" (Bible Song). She loves Owl City & CRJ "Goot Time" (Good Time). She loves Bethany Dillon's "lalejuha" (Hallelujah). The list goes on and on. I love her so much.

Give her the opportunity and she'll teach you how to plie, color, laugh, dance, jump...she's truly incredible and I'm anxious to see the rest of 3! 

And don't get me started on popcorn and movies hahahahahaha. It's all day, everyday - that she wants "popcone and a noovy" (popcorn and a movie). Makes me giggle each time.

Or...to go to the "pay" (play). Here in Costa Rica we have to take her to a McDonalds or Burger King or these special play areas in the mall - because anything outside is just too dangerous and very dirty. It's a shame, but we're used to it. In a few weeks she'll experience playgrounds in the US...haha I'm excited! Sounds lame but you have no idea :P

I'm sorry for my absence, I had no intentions. Between planning a birthday, move, visits, cars, the beach, a business and working out...I'm wiped!! Thanks for stopping by and reading - I can't wait to catchup with your lives!! <3 br="br">Sonya

8 comments:

Andrea {kerubo mama} said...

She is such a beautiful soul. And the fact that she has learned two languages is amazing.. we had hoped so much that we would be living in an African country by now so that Cruz would grow up being surrounded by another language. What a gift!!

kyna... said...

Your pictures (as always) are AMAZING!! I would love to watch more videos of Maia talking and singing...I know you've posted a few, but I LOVE hearing her cute little voice to go along with that cute face :-)
(BTW, not sure if I ever told you, but I ABSOLUTELY love the name Maia...and how you guys spelled it! So beautiful!)
♥ Kyna

Skye said...

Funny b/c Julianna is a new 2 yr old (2 yrs and 3 mos) and I feel like Maia is worlds ahead of her in development... but then I think about how much children learn every single day and I guess that is to be expected! :)
I love that your daughter knows 2 languages- that is sooo important and you're right, this is the bet window of opportunity for her to soak it all in like a sponge!
It's so cute how she is in love with ballet already! I love it!

Miranda said...

how adorable is she! and you as well!!! they grow so quick!!! :)

E said...

Welcome back! I can't wait to hear about everything (or somethings, at least) that you have going on. Good luck with the birthday party for your lovely daughter!

Olga Marquez said...

you capture great shots, lady!!

You both are beautiful girls <33

Amanda K said...

Your little girl is adorable, love her big beautiful eyes. One of my daughters recently turned three and it is such a fun age! Totally get the whole 0 - 60 seconds, too, my Zoe does the same thing. Or else she gives me this "siiiigh...I am sooo misunderstood" expression that makes me want to laugh.

Michelle said...

You take such gorgeous pictures. And Maia is such a beautiful little girl!