All to often I feel like as parents we get caught up teaching our kids or signing our kids up for what WE think they should be doing...what WE think is the right thing for them. I'm so guilty. When I was pregnant and after I knew that it was a girl, I very commonly told everyone that at 2 she'd be in dance. She'd always have her hair pretty. She'd play piano. She'd be delicate and fragile. Play with baby dolls.
Welp let me tell you, all of those things are great...and as much as I'd like to mold her into a professional dancer with a rockstar ability to play the piano - I had to step back and watch her. What does MAIA like? What does MAIA have fun doing? What gives her JOY? What makes her happy?
She LOVES dancing - and we'll continue to embrace and openly encourage her to move freely and embrace her culture. BUT she LOVES tumbling more. She had somersaults down a LONG time ago. She knows how to do switch kicks. She gets a kick out of trying to do cartwheels. And so, if she would like to, I wanna look into putting her into a gym. She LOVES her girly frilly things...but she also likes to skateboard. And while I may have turned it down 2 years ago, I'll let it slide it because I can't think of anything better than to let her embrace EVERYTHING. Giving her an opportunity to find out what she loves to do and what she's good at.
These are exciting times ;)





4 comments:
i can't wait till my son gets older and expresses his interests more...i absolutely adore that last picture...it is just beautiful!
I think you're doing a wonderful thing! Allowing her the freedom to express her interests and personality, and embracing that for her. Awesome, Sonya! And that last picture??!! Ohgoodness, that's so perfect. I love it so much!!
That is so cute! Nothing wrong with being gilry and loving sports too!
So gorgeous and I can't wait to see what Josh will be into as gets older. x x
Post a Comment