At twelve years old...I was still a proud owner of Barbie Dolls, Bubblegum Pop Music, notebooks filled with stories of how horrible my brothers and sister were, millions of pictures of my best friends....but never a baby belly. The FURTHEST thing from my mind was sex. THE furthest!!! I'm pretty sure that at 12, I still didn't even know how all that messy stuff worked out to create us. Being 12 was getting upset because I couldn't go to a friend's one friday night out of 5.
I'm so scared. How am I gonna raise Maia and keep her out of this mess? Commercials use sex now! What's worse is that they're commercials advertising shampoo, garbage bags, candle scents...everyday household items & more. This SUCKS! Honestly...by the time that she'll understand, I won't be able to let the TV on. As a growing teen into a young adult, I'm sure everyone says this...I'll never be as strict as my parents...but now. I understand. And it leaves me awake at night. My heart is breaking for the following generations.
I was watching Newport Harbor on MTV about a week ago, mind you, Costa Rica is playing the 2007 season. So anyways, there's 2 characters...Clay and Chrissy. Chrissy is a Senior, Clay a Junior...they start dating. So the first few dates...Clay's friends are gathered around him asking him if he scored...WHAT?!?!?! And at the same time in a different place, Chrissy is telling her girls how she's falling for him...he's so cute, ya know the drill, girl talk. THE saddest part about this is that it is everything our parents said to us...you don't know what his intentions are. And we sit there and honestly think that this guy is not just in it for the score or mark on his belt. Number 5 or whatever the number. (pic: Chrissy & Clay from MTV's Newport Harbor)
I hope that I'm not the mom that nags until she just rebels...and at the same time I hope I don't allow too much. That sex would not be a normal discussion for her at the age of 12 or even 16, 17, 18... If we would just focus on being children, we wouldn't feel like we have to grow so fast. We have 18 years to enjoys friends and family and be totally dependent on our parents.....and I hope Maia takes advantage of that, I hope she doesn't ever have to get into this sexual culture or feel like she has to thrive in it. That's what our remaining 70+ years are for...with our spouses. :[
Anyways, it's just been on my mind...can't shake it.
always,
ME



No comments:
Post a Comment